The Department of Namibian Correctional Service performs the following functions:
- to ensure that every inmate is secured in safe and humane within a correctional facility, until lawfully discharged or therefrom;
- to render health care to inmates;
- as far as practicable, to apply such rehabilitation programmes other meaningful and constructive activities to sentenced that contribute to their rehabilitation and successful reintegration into community as law abiding citizens;
- to supervise offenders who are on conditional release;
- to perform all work necessary for, arising from, or incidental to, the effective management, administration and control of correctional facilities and community correctional centres; and
- to perform such other functions as the President may from time to assign to the Correctional Service.
External link to the Namibian Correctional Service Website